Tours of the internationally acclaimed Currumbin Ecovillage can be requested by individuals or groups. Hundreds of people have toured the ecovillage to learn from the development experience, the sustainable design and the way the community operates. Industry professionals, government agencies, commercial developers, universities and international students have found it invaluable, however tours are not run very often and fees apply.
The Ecovillage at Currumbin is the most awarded residential estate in Australia with 33 awards. Tours are led by experienced local tour guides who live on-site. Please note that to book a tour, you must contact Ecomplish Sustainability in advance, using the form below. Tours are not run at fixed times but on demand, by request. We enjoy sharing our experience and hope future communities will extend the benchmarks the Currumbin Ecovillage has being able to realise. As it is a residential community, and tours and group numbers are strictly limited.
To book or enquire about a tour please contact us using the FORM at the bottom of this page.
Tour Type Options are:
1 Public Tours: for non-professionals and the general public only.
Duration: 1.5 hours.
Price: $25 per person with a minimum charge of $150 per group. Discounts are available for large groups. For a quote (or to be placed on the group tour waiting list) please complete the Form below.
2 Professional Tours: for industry professionals or those planning a village (e.g. landowners, engineers, architects, planners, designers, builders, conferences etc)
Duration: 2.5 hours.
Cost: $75 per person with a minimum fee of $250 per group. Discounts available for groups of over 5 people. To request a quote please complete the Form below.
3 Educational Tours: designed for groups of students and school children. Please request the discounted pricing using the Form below, providing as much detail as possible.
4 Ecovillage land and lifestyle (sales) tours: if you are specifically looking to buy a property in the ecovillage soon, we recommend you contact a local real estate agent directly as we do not provide sales-focused tours. Having said that, a Public or Professional tour may provide you with very useful information.
- a 2km walk of parts of the large village.
- community centre facilities: dragon pizza oven, pool, gym, barn library, Bali huts, commercial kitchen, halls etc
- the unique community and sustainable housing design;
- the village commercial centre plan;
- a tour of an eco-friendly ecovillage house (time permitting);
- development process and hurdles;
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle (RRR) centre;
- water sensitive urban design and landscaping;
- information about our central waste water treatment plant;
- results of a four year university study comparing the community to a local contemporary estate;
- data on the NBN and 5km long high speed optic fibre telecommunication and LPG gas reticulated networks;
- how the community operates and its lessons for professional developers and community groups.
Testimonials from the last 4 tours:
“I thoroughly enjoyed the tour and got a lot of value from it. I felt the Tour Guide went above and beyond to give us the best and most in depth experience possible. The tour was instrumental in helping us to refine our own development plans. Thank you!” Rating: 5 Stars Melissa, Sustainability Specialist and Presenter, NSW
“The tour started punctually and was quickly orientated toward the specific information which was of direct interest to us. The information was engaging, passionate; supported by rich experience and provided us with a comprehensive overview of the eco-development from its infancy to the present, including all relevant architectural and green technologies. The tour is an absolute must if you are an interested buyer or investor in an eco-development of any kind – highly recommended.” Rating: 5 Stars J. & C. Barkley, Sydney
“The Ecovillage is an excellent precedent that we can all learn from. Ben delivers a brilliant tour for everyone involved. He has a wealth of first hand experience backed with theoretical knowledge. Best of all, he brings infectious enthusiasm.” Rating: 5 Stars. R. Maher, University of Queensland
“Thanks so much for today it was fantastic. The students were clearly impressed and greatly interested in the Ecovillage.” Australian College for Interior Design, Brisbane
- Tours typically involve a 1,500 metre walk through the community and are only suitable for people who are fit and able-bodied, and wearing suitable footwear.
- Fees are charged for tours to cover the cost of the tour operations; they provide supplementary income for the local community guides and cover insurances.
Tour Enquiry Form
Please note that the ecovillage is a residential community and all homes are private, as are most of the community facilities and internal roads. We ask visitors to respect the privacy of residents and to avoid encroaching onto private blocks. Merely driving through the Ecovillage is not recommended as this reduces the local residential amenity. It also doesn’t provide the best experience and quality information about the development concept and operations, just external views of houses. Hence, our walking tours are highly recommended, for a life-changing experience!
Tour prices are subject to change over time and depend on dates and times.
Urgent Tour queries: Tel. 61+ (0) 419409887
Review of a public tour: http://www.weekendnotes.com/ecovillage-currumbin/